Saturday 21 May 2016

Toyota Landcruiser 200 series, VDJ200R V8 4.5 litre Commonrail 1VD-FTV 100% complete Diesel EGR delete via ecu flash...





I didn't think it was a simple as that, and yet it was done. The best part was this was not an ECU chip replacement technology but the ultimately desirable one of rewriting the stock ROM on my Toyota ECU!

My earlier dreams of trying to disable the EGR of the VDJ200R V8 4.5 Litre common rail 1VD-FTV has come to pass in possibly the cleanest stock looking way!

I've asked for a conservative tune, my original goal being only to disable the EGR completely. As an engine enthusiast, I know what happens when exhaust gas of the diesel combustion variety gets reintroduced back into the intake manifold. Dirty black crusty crumbs of caked up carbon lining the intake manifold and engine ports from being mixed with engine oil blown in from acceptable leaks from the turbochargers and the PCV breather valve.

Of course you'll have to check with the existing laws for on-the-road use. Off-road use should be ok.



1VD-FTV ECU location in the firewall.








The ECU is located on the front passenger side(Right hand drive car) of the engine on the firewall. Remove the three bolts securing a black plastic electrical box at the bottom before removing the 4 bolts on the ECU flange. The two separate plugs are removed by depressing the plastic arm ends lock tab and rotating the plastic arm towards the edge.

These are the EDUs...no need to remove.




The longer plug is on top. Remember this when reinstalling the ECU back into the slot.

Yes, this ECU can be reflashed without a chip change. Clean and sanitary.


Previous attempt at EGR reduction.


Thought I'll clean the pipe of carbon so that the next time I open it again I'd expect it to remain clean as the EGR reduction to nil should be working without CELs coming on.

Just to be doubly sure I decided to fully block one end of the EGR pipe with a 34mm block plug lest any of the two EGR valves be leaking (Known to be a problem!).

Packed my 1VD-FTV ECU in a sealed plastic bag and couriered it to the professionals.
The wizards Whatsapped me some progress pictures as they worked on the ECU...

 These wires were connected to enable rewriting of the Toyota ROM...

Injector Opening duration. I mentioned earlier in the blog if they tuned with increased injector pressure and their reply was in addition to duration and timing changes! That's very pro in the world of diesel tuning...much like what is available with standalone performance diesel ECUs available from Thailand for your D-Max, Vigos, Tritons, etc....

I especially requested for a conservative (with less smoke at the expense of power) tune, wanting my autotrans to survive longer for my enjoyment!


VGT boost pressure under electronic control could be raised a bit! Stock Toyota shows the 1VD-FTV boost to peak at about 2.1 bar absolute meaning a boost pressure of 1.1 bar subtracting atmospheric pressure deemed at 1 bar. The maps above have raised that to useful high of 1.2-1.6 bar on a good power pull!

Torque limiter...I really do not know what this is until I ask the tuners...My only conjecture was that the tuners had opened up the autotrans portion of the ECU and reprogrammed the stock transmission lock up parameters! Wow! If that is...so until the next blog!

Got the ECU back yesterday...and in the midst of replacing my bad thermostat I also refitted it with the fully blocked EGR pipe. Got it started and it was a beauty!



Car started without any problems and give me time to test if any CELs pop on...


Driving impression: Feels just like a VW V10 TDI Touareg in the torque department. More to come when I've taken it for both a high altitude and long distance drive to the East coast! The boost of the turbo could be heard as one revs the engine gently from idle...yummy!




More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Mate who did the remp for you and and what cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI

    Please could you send me the Pinout config . 12 v positive on pin xx neg on pin xx CAN Hi on in xx CAN low on pin XX

    ReplyDelete