Saturday 30 April 2016

Modding the Citizen Autozilla 1000m with Suppa Parts Zilla Bracelet...SuppaAutoZilla...Year 2016

The Citizen Autozilla came with this love it or hate it factory issue black rubber strap that was meant for diving use.




Yes, that watch band on the left in the box came from a Citizen Robert Swan, the all titanium tough fella. I kept it there as I had lost my old box. :-(

Zilla Bracelet was sourced from www.suppaparts.com

The Zilla Bracelet will replace the Autozilla factory strap.








I unwrapped the plastic around the Zilla Bracelet to be used as a mat. Choosing a suitably sized screw driver, I proceeded to removed the 4 screws securing a titanium circular ring cap at the bottom of the case. You don't want to scratch your case or strip the straight edge screw heads. Make sure screw driver plants itself into the screw head without excessive free play and also that you will not gouge any side titanium out of the recess hole on the circular ring cap as you turn it! So the right size means you have to go look for some proper tools!









 Factory rubber straps are simply removed by sliding them up out of the slots...








Orientate the watch, knowing that the crown cap is at 9am, slide in one side of the adapter ends so that the STEVRAL letterings on the foldover clasp will look upright when viewed fitted on your left hand. The rest is history...











The default Zilla Bracelet size was about two links too long for me. I thought to myself to bring the watch to an expert. Main reason was that the links are secured by double ended screw cap bars. If you turn one side, the other side rotates! So to remove the links, you have to secure one side whilst you apply turning effort to the other! I didn't want any scratches!


My local hometown Citizen watch shop expert showed me how he did it. He basically held in one hand a screw driver against one side of the bracelet and braced the end of that screwdriver against his stomach. With the other hand, a second screw driver was used to unscrew the link. Looked easy if a bit gung ho! :-[]








Next I got him to adjust (to center) one of the friction located pins on the clasp end that was popping out a little on one side. Maybe 0.4mm thereabouts. With a hammer and a drive pin, he proceeded to deliver his goods. Well done!




2 links for my safekeeping...

Final weight of watch with bracelet is 222 g.




My "SuppaAutoZilla", my own Christening :-). A heritage of Japanese diving technology meeting Japan's highly regarded ISO 6425 standard. This mixed gas diving 1000m guaranteed masterpiece now combined with a western watchmaker's unique titanium bracelet makes it a true east meet west wedding befitting mention. :-)


More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment